A Week without Coffee

I'm not a heavy drinker, but I've gotten into the habit of having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. I like to think it helps me wake up, but I'm sure my body's conditioning has reduced the effect over time. I rarely have another cup later in the day, only in extreme circumstances like someone hands me a free drink or I have to work late and couldn't take a nap after teaching all day. And still, I worried that it would upset my stomach or I wouldn't be able to sleep when it was time. I want coffee to be a delightful treat, not a necessity or over-indulgence.

So a few weeks ago, on the first official Saturday of my summer break, I decided to forego my morning coffee. I wasn't trying to start a revolution, I just didn't feel like drinking hot liquid when it was already hot. And I was a free woman! I'll do what I want! As the day progressed, however, I was riddled with mysterious head pains (and I rarely get headaches). Rather than accepting my caffeine addiction, I took this distress as confirmation that my body simply needed a break from coffee. I told Patrick I was going to give up coffee for a week and he said, "Good luck with that!" which further cemented my conviction.

Day 2 came with more headaches, though it also coincided with the day I forgot to take my anti-anxiety medicine, so my head was a wreck anyway. Regardless, I weathered the storm and stuck to my resolution.

Day 3 and 4 were much smoother. I didn't experience headaches but still felt lower-energy in general. I craved an afternoon nap each day (and obliged). This could be in part because I was getting accustomed to long morning walks with Lilly. How do scientists separate all the variables!

Day 5 hit me harder for some reason. I started missing coffee--the flavor, the experience, the aroma. I craved sweets as well. I always put a hefty splash of creamer in my coffee, so either my body was reacting to a decline in sugar or I was fixating on a treat that wasn't "off-limits". When I felt really low energy, I sometimes drank tea, which does contain some caffeine (sue me). 

Day 6 and 7, I was in the routine of not making coffee and the challenge didn't feel like a challenge anymore. I ended up abstaining for a couple more days, because I didn't really care either way. 

Then. I had some yesterday morning.

MAN, was I productive! I zipped around the apartment, getting sh*t done that had been on my to-do list for weeks! I didn't feel manic, just motivated. While this feeling was satisfying, I still don't want to have a strong dependency on caffeine. I'm sure there are ways I can adjust my diet to feel more energy, and what about sleep? You know, basic stuff. 

Also I wonder how else daily caffeine affects my body. I know it causes dehydration, but I couldn't see a difference in my complexion after only a week. If there are benefits to be found, I imagine they would come after several weeks.

Verdict: Overall, I didn't miss coffee that much. I thought about the money I was saving by not buying K-cups and creamer, and was proud to exercise consistent self-control. Now, I feel good about having the choice each day on whether or not to drink coffee. I think this change was much easier to make when my routine was also changing (from school mode to summer mode). I imagine abstaining from coffee would have been MUCH more challenging if I was breaking my normal routine on a school day. 

Have any of you tried this before?  I also want to give up processed sugar but am so afraid of how cranky I will be during the withdrawal. Ahh!

XOXO,
Maria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts from a New (Dog) Mama

Halo Top Ice Cream: What's the Deal?

New Podcasts I'm Loving