Thoughts from a New (Dog) Mama



Lilly, sweet Lilly...how you delight and frustrate me. Everyone keeps telling me that having a dog is the precursor to kids and so I can't help but note the parallels. 

1. This is affecting my sleep. Patrick is naturally a night owl and I'm more of a morning person and so I have assumed the morning shift with Lilly. This involves taking her downstairs to pee first thing, falling back asleep for an hour, and then feeding her and taking her out again for a longer walk (with intermittent running when I'm up for it and also want to wear her out). The plus side of this regimen is that I'm getting consistent exercise every morning before it gets too hot. Also, sometimes I feel inspired to complete a solo workout after the walk. Other times I go back to bed.


2. Her interests change over time. When we first adopted Lilly, we were told that rope toys were her favorite, and this still holds true. However, within a week, Lilly developed a sudden fascination with sticks. Every walk now, she finds a stick to clutch in her mouth while we walk. This morning she was trotting along with a stick longer than the length of her body, completely unfazed. It was adorable. Once she fully heals from her surgery, I'm curious to learn her preferences for other things like taking baths, swimming, and frisbee. 


3. We've experienced parental anxiety. I worry about Lilly when I know she is home alone, even though she is safe in her crate. Does she need to go to the bathroom? Is she lonely? We actually set up an iPad to record the first time we had to leave her for several hours, to get an idea of how long she whined. It was about 20 minutes, and I'm thankful I didn't have to endure it in person. Another night, Lilly was acting strange before bed, whining and resisting on her walk back to the apartment. It was unsettling going to sleep without knowing what was ailing her. Her condition improved the next day, but I recognize the struggle of having to sit with uncertainty. It's difficult to realize your best option is time and faith that things will work out.

4. She has bad habits. Lilly is sweet and curious and, like a lot of toddlers, is not always the best listener. She jumps on strangers sometimes and expresses her affection with us through nipping. She lunges towards squirrels on walks, pulling uncomfortably on the leash. We've practiced commands with Lilly and seen reductions on her problem behaviors but, like any bad habit, it takes time and there are plenty of slip-ups. When I get frustrated, Patrick reminds me that we've only had her about a week and that change doesn't happen overnight. Why??? My heart goes out to parents who endure months of potty training successes and slip-ups, to my friend who is currently experiencing "bedgate". When a slip-up happens in front of a stranger, you want to say, "But it's not always like this!" The truth is, there will always be victories and failures; it's all process. 



5. I love her adoration. The other night I came home late from a shift at the paintbar. It was around 11:00 and Lilly was lazing around with Patrick. As soon as I came in the door, she rushed me, like all doggies do. So I got down on my knees and marveled at her as she literally circled me, pausing in between laps to sit on my lap (somewhat successfully). All throughout this adorable dance, Lilly dragged along her small rope to satisfy her biting urges. It was the sweetest end to a long shift; I felt simply adored.

Hope you're having a fabulous weekend!  

XOXO,
Maria

Comments

  1. Love.

    But really... The precursor to kiss thing is a lie.

    Nothing prepares you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm. I meant kids. Hahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halo Top Ice Cream: What's the Deal?

New Podcasts I'm Loving